Sons of Norway, a financial services and international cultural organization headquartered in Minneapolis, began with shared values and a simple promise of financial security when like-minded people came together to protect their families, celebrate their culture and strengthen their community.
For more than 120 years, we’ve lived our mission to promote and preserve the heritage and culture of Norway, celebrate our relationships with other Nordic countries and provide quality insurance and financial products to our members. Now more than 52,000 members strong, we play an active role in communities throughout North America and Norway.
The Leader of the Sons of Norway Foundation is responsible for the overall strategic planning, fundraising, foundation giving, revenue generation and financial management.
- Develop in coordination with the Sons of Norway Foundation CEO, COO and Board of Governors the Sons of Norway Foundation Strategic Plan. Ensure the plan is complimentary to the broader work of Sons of Norway.
- Lead the implementation the Sons of Norway Foundation Strategic Plan
- Develop the annual budget along with the Sons of Norway Chief Financial Officer and Foundation CEO to ensure adequate resources to meet steady goals and to ensure fidelity to the fiscal responsibility and obligations as enumerated in the mission, vision and priorities.
Fund Development and Foundation Giving
- Lead fundraising efforts to support programs, scholarships, grants and endowments. Attention to fundraising efforts is critical.
- Develop annual fundraisers and campaigns to support Foundation mission.
- Oversees the distribution of scholarships and grants and evaluates the effectiveness of past programs.
- As the face of the foundation, build and maintain long-term relationships with key donors and potential donors.
- Travel to lodges, key events and district conventions to establish key relationship to promote the Sons of Norway Foundation and fund development.
- Partner with the Board of Governors and the CEO and COO to develop goals, objectives and operational plans for the Foundation.
- Partner with the Foundation Board to:
- Establish Foundation Priorities
- Design, implement and manage ongoing fundraising programs to support the Sons of Norway Foundation
- Develop and Maintain Donor Relation Management
- Manage Donor recognition program
- Oversee processing of all grant and scholarship requests
Marketing and Communications
Collaborate with other Sons of Norway Departments to:
- Develop donor relationships
- Oversee Community outreach
- Prepare and present program updates to Sons of Norway agents and Sons of Norway Leaders
- Coordinate with Sons of Norway Insurance Department to integrate Sons of Norway Foundation Mission as an addition to the assortment of products and services
- Present and publicize fundraising opportunities for local lodges and members on behalf of the Foundation.
- Develop promotional materials for newsletter service, Viking Magazine, Viking Resource, Website and Sons of Norway publications to support the promotion of the Foundation to Sons of Norway members, leaders, agents and donors.
- Oversee the development of Sons of Norway Foundation Annual Report with design team.
- Develop and maintain ongoing communications with local and district lodge Foundation Directors for publicizing Sons of Norway Grants and Scholarships.
Professional Qualifications Needed
- BA/BS Degree
- Five or more year’s senior nonprofit management experience
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors
- Successful fundraising experience.
- Excellent donor relations skills.
- Ability to Travel –25% (locally and domestically)
- Strong Communication skills –written and verbal
- Strong public speaking skills
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, Sons of Norway Leaders, Members and the overall community.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders and volunteers.
- Donor Analytical skills
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected].