The Graphic Design and Communications Specialist is an integral member of the design team responsible for the design, production and overall project management of high quality Sons of Norway publications, event collateral, ads, forms, etc., ensuring Sons of Norway brand consistency across all materials. This position contributes to maintaining Sons of Norway’s social media and blog presence, and contributes to digital marketing strategy. The Graphic Design and Communications Specialist may serve as a contributing writer for various newsletters and other projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Graphic design, publications, event collateral
- Sons of Norway product brochures and identity pieces, ads, forms, etc. – Designs a wide array of quality materials for internal and external clients, reinforcing and maintaining Sons of Norway’s brand in all deliverables.
- Newsletter Service – Utilizes stock photography and graphics, formats layout, prepares a web-ready digital version and mails requested hardcopies. Contributes article ideas and written content.
- E-Post – Contributes article ideas and written content.
- Viking magazine – Contributes to content planning and monthly internal review of overall design and magazine ads secured by MSP-C, the magazine’s custom publisher. Designs Sons of Norway ads for internal clients. Coordinates and designs Sons of Norway Annual Report as a yearly section within the magazine. Fields member calls. Serves as back-up to Communications Coordinator in role as liaison with MSP-C.
- Cultural programming – Completes project design/redesign for all cultural program materials, brochures and support materials.
- Nordic American Thanksgiving Breakfast – Oversees design and production of all support and collateral materials for the NATB.
- International Convention – In collaboration with Communication team, creates the identity and printed support materials and promotional items for the convention. Updates/creates sponsorship package book. Supports creation and fulfillment of convention sponsorship agreement items. Manages and designs advertisements and coordinates payments on behalf of Headquarters, International Board and various other HQ departments for placement in district convention report books and international convention report book.
- Contributor to maintaining social media presence for Sons of Norway via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, HootSuite.
- Creates and posts articles to the Sons of Norway blog.
- Fulfills sponsorship agreement social media deliverables for various events.
- Contributes to digital marketing efforts.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; prioritizes and manages workflow to meet project deadlines. Proactively provides project status updates to supervisor and internal clients
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Solicits feedback to improve service; provides timely response to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- External Working Relationships – Develops and maintains courteous and effective working relationships with clients, vendors and/or any other representatives of external organizations.
- Stays cool under pressure when competing demands arise; demonstrates positive, mature attitude and behavior.
- Collaborative and congenial team member.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures.
- Safety and Security – All employees are responsible for observing safety and security procedures as applicable and reporting potentially unsafe conditions to management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for the Graphic Design and Communications Assistant. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Four-year degree preferred (i.e. BA or BFA in Communication Arts, Graphic Arts or Graphic Design) from a regionally accredited program preferred. Candidates holding a two-year degree along with commensurate experience may also be considered.
- Two to three years’ experience in agency or in-house design team. At least two years professional experience working on a Mac, using Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, and QuarkXpress.
- Experience managing a brand on social media.
- Baseline or better proficiency with digital marketing strategies a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have experience using: Design Software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, QuarkXpress); Internet Software; Spreadsheet Software (Excel); Word Processing Software (Word); Electronic Mail Software (Outlook); Presentation software (PowerPoint); and Publisher software.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects, meet project deadlines, identify roadblocks and work with management toward solutions.
- Proven track record of combining creative thinking, strong design ability and project execution.
- Excellent visual communication, creative and typographic skills.
- A thorough understanding of design principles.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- Attention to detail.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Must be punctual and timely in meeting all requirements of performance, including, but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines; beginning and ending assignments on time; and scheduled work breaks; where applicable. Occasional overtime hours may be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job description is subject to change as company needs evolve.