Director of Human Resources and Operations
The Operations Manager will lead the integrated customer service, new business and fraternal services functions on behalf of Sons of Norway. This area us responsible for all customer facing and operational functions as it relates to Sons of Norway’s life insurance and annuity, fraternal and charitable foundation areas.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Operations Manager is responsible for the following customer service functions:
- Processes daily monetary requests that include but are not limited to, loans, surrenders, partial surrenders, 1035 exchanges replacements and conversions.
- Processes daily non-monetary requests that include but are not limited to, address changes, beneficiary changes and ownership changes.
- Provides support for annual/quarterly informational and monetary exchanges with members that include but are not limited to required minimum distribution letters, 1099 letters and dividend distributions.
- Provides telephone support, and answers day-to-day questions posed by members, agents and internal staff.
The Operations Manager is responsible for the following new business process for life insurance and annuity applications:
- Prepares and completes initial set up process for all annuity and life applications.
- Performs the initial underwriting review of all annuity and life applications, and when appropriate, takes them through the approval process.
- Orders the underwriting requirements as directed by the underwriter.
- Coordinates all communications for 1035 exchanges, rollovers and transfers.
- Generates policy pages for distribution to the agents and delivery to the clients.
- Shares responsibility for processing all new business mail.
- Manages vendor websites by receipting and distributing underwriting requirements.
- Acts as an administrator for reinsurance.
- Maintains all commission and production for the agents.
The Operations Manager is responsible for the following processes as it relates to fraternal and foundation activities:
- Translates complex policies into easy to understand language and concepts so that members, officers and co-workers can understand and implement them with confidence.
- Interacts with Sons of Norway Headquarters staff, members, officers (lodge, district & international) and the general public in person, by telephone, email and postal mail, serving as the primary resource for information regarding membership, lodge operations, awards and specific annual projects.
- Locates, interprets and synthesizes membership data from a wide variety of computer applications in the course of researching queries and determining solutions.
- Clarifies ambiguous and confusing new and transferring membership information in collaboration with the accounting staff.
- Coordinates distribution of documentation such as local lodge membership listings, officer listings, labels, monthly lodge reporting sheets and SAR004s.
- Encourages potential members to join Sons of Norway.
- Coordinates with the supply department to fulfill requests made by lodge officers.
- Records members’ credit card numbers over the phone for payment of dues. Processes payments on website or transfers information to accounting department, for both new and renewing members.
- Coordinates large-scale annual projects such as lodge officer updates, lodge achievement/NFCA, founders awards, and recruitment pins from start to finish.
- Prepares initial data for project
- Designs documents and forms
- Supervises mass mailing of materials to appropriate officers
- Processes incoming data
- Generates end-of-project literature for officers and Sons of Norway headquarters staff, including listings, forms and awards.
- Conducts mass mailing of project results, if appropriate.
- Oversees new lodge starts, lodge dissolutions and mergers.
- Presents details about dues and other membership services related topics to incoming financial benefit counselors participating in ”Career School.”
- Creates certificates for anniversary awards, gift memberships and golden membership. Supervises monthly mailing of Golden Membership certificates and pins.
- Records member deaths. Researches via the internet to verify reports of deaths.
- Processes transfers and cancellations of membership.
- Consults with IT department to resolve issues related to reporting of membership information for the organization and to improve reporting mechanisms.
- Enters new addresses, email and phone numbers for members. Changes members’ birthdates and effective dates based on information from lodge officers and members.
Required Skills and Experience
- 3-5 years of experience in a life insurance company covering such functions as customer service, new business or underwriting support.
- Strong understanding of life insurance and annuity product features and industry dynamics.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Superior interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to collaborate successfully on a cross-functional basis.
- Previous experience leading employee teams
Bachelor’s degree preferred, ideally in insurance or business administration.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected].