Sons of Norway is currently seeking a professional, talented and dynamic individual to join our team as a Program Coordinator. This position works from our headquarters office in Minneapolis, MN and will be responsible for a variety of exciting projects. The right candidate must have, among other things, strong written and verbal communications skills and be knowledgeable about social media best practices and event planning. If this sounds like you, or someone you know, apply today!
Sons of Norway is an international fraternal life insurance company that serves 60,000 members in nearly 400 communities throughout North America and Norway. We are headquartered in the Uptown area of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Communications Support (30%)
- Research, recommend/provide content and write for various member and officer communication vehicles.
Nordic American Thanksgiving Breakfast (NATB) Coordination (20%)
- Schedule location and coordinate logistics.
- Coordinate NATB committee meetings.
- Coordinate ticketing, including receiving orders and assigning tables.
- Coordinate event promotional activities and materials with NATB committee and Sons of Norway Communications.
- Recruit and manage volunteers for various event functions.
- Maintain database of attendees, patrons and sponsors.
- Coordinate the participation of the selected charities and other involved with the program.
College Website (15%)
- Research and write articles for website.
- Research and propose site improvements and modifications.
- Coordinate social media activities.
- Contact businesses and organizations to facilitate their involvement in the site.
- Post jobs on a weekly basis.
- Coordinate promotional activities in partnership with membership coordinator.
Sports Medal Program (15%)
- Actively promote the Sports Medal Program to lodges and members, and provide guidance on using the program in programming.
- Provide guidance on the use of the Sports Medal Program for recruiting and retention.
- Coordinate with the design staff on the development of collateral material to promote the program.
- Coordinate the development and revision of the program as needed.
- Answer member questions regarding the program.
Barneløpet Events (5%)
- Actively promote the program to lodges and members, and provide guidance on incorporating barneløpets into lodge programming.
- Provide guidance on the use of the Barneløpet Program for recruiting and retention.
- Coordinate with the design staff on the development of collateral material to promote the resources.
- Maintain records of participation for periodic reporting.
- Answer member questions about the program
- Coordinate with the Supply Department on providing banners and medals to lodges for their programs.
- Develop program enhancements and develop administrative improvements.
Member Communication and Reference (10%)
- Answer questions from members, staff and the public regarding Norwegian culture, language, history, etc.
- Refer members and the general public to other resources regarding heritage and culture.
- Answer calls about travel, genealogy, heritage, etc, emphasizing the benefits of Sons of Norway membership.
- Inform lodges of Norwegian events, touring groups, etc. in their area.
- Welcome visitors to Sons of Norway Headquarters.
- Coordinate map service.
Folk Art Competition and Exhibition (3%)
- On a Biennial basis, coordination of the convention Folk Art Competition and Exhibition.
- Assist committee members with registrations.
- Coordinate the distribution of certificates.
Translation, Interpretation and Bilingual Support (1%)
- As needed translate communications for Fraternal and other staff members.
- Translate articles for various publications.
Other duties (1%)
- BA in English, communications or Scandinavian studies.
- Excellent writing & verbal communications skills.
- Excellent phone manner.
- Excellent customer service skills (phone & email).
- Experience using Excel, Word, a database program and email.
- Experience with social media.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to sit/talk/hear; occasionally required to stand/walk and is frequently required to use hands. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience in event coordination.
- Experience marketing and promoting programs and events.
- Experience directing and working with/coordinating volunteers.
- Basic to intermediate competency in Norwegian.
- Knowledge of Norwegian culture, literature and history.
- 1 to 2 years’ experience in an office environment or customer service function.
Send a letter of application, resume and one page writing sample by April 15, 2015 to Linda Nelson at [email protected] or to her attention at: Sons of Norway, 1455 West Lake St, Minneapolis, MN 55408.