JOB TITLE: National Sales Manager
Reports To: Director of Agencies
This position is primarily responsible for driving New Life and Annuity sales, training Financial Benefit Counselors (FBCs) on sales and prospecting techniques/skills for selling Life and Annuity products, and recruiting new independent agents to become FBCs. This position is also responsible for serving as a source for advanced underwriting and for advanced estate planning needs by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conducts field and individual training consultation with FBC’s and other sales personnel.
- Recruits New FBCs.
- Design and distributes sales ideas, sales contests and other mechanisms to increase the sale of Sons of Norway Insurance and annuity products.
- Organizes, Moderates, and Presents Sales and Product Webinars to the FBC.
- Writes articles for Salutt and The Advisor newsletters.
- Creates PowerPoint presentations for FBCs and lodges.
- Takes part in training at the Incentive Conference.
- Meets with clients and prospects to discuss and evaluate all aspects of financial planning and services. This is done with an FBC present.
Must be punctual and timely in meeting all requirements of performance, including, but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines; beginning and ending assignments on time; and scheduled work breaks; where applicable.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- External Working Relationships – Develops and maintains courteous and effective working relationships with clients, vendors and/or any other representatives of external organizations.
- Business Acumen – Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures.
- Business Necessity – The needs of the employer may be dependent on responding to and anticipating rapidly changing external and internal demands in all aspects of how business is conducted. Accordingly, the employees must be capable of adapting, with minimal or no advance notice, to changes in how business is conducted and work is accomplished, with no diminishment in work performance.
- Safety and Security –All employees are responsible for observing safety and security procedures as applicable and reporting potentially unsafe conditions to management.
This position may supervise FBCs and other sales personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Master’s degree (M.A.) or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: (Internet Software; Spreadsheet Software (Excel); Word Processing Software (Word); Electronic Mail Software (Outlook); and Presentation Software (PowerPoint).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Life Insurance license
- Insurance designations – Fraternal Insurance Counselor, Charter Life Underwriter, Chartered Financial Consultant
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications
- Must have sales prospecting and closing skills, and advanced underwriting knowledge.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.