The Orel and Marie Winjum Memorial Scholarship was created to assist with college tuition costs for American citizens of Norwegian and/or German heritage. This scholarship is given in honor of Orel and Marie Winjum by their children, all of whom earned a college degree – some early in life and some later. Marie finished her college degree after all their children were grown.
Orel and Marie Winjum believed that education is important. They also believed that those who gain the knowledge and critical thinking that a college education can bestow will find their lives truly enriched, and that they will enrich the lives of all with whom they come in contact.
Who can apply:
- American citizens with either Norwegian and/or German heritage who have applied to or are enrolled in an accredited four year college or university or two year community college in the United States.
- Those who are 17 or older and have a certificate of completion from high school or are about to graduate from high school. Adult students are also welcome to apply for this opportunity.
- Those who have a grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
- A short autobiography, 150 words or less
- An essay of 500 words or less
- Letters of recommendation