Are you committed to life-long learning and service?
Join the Sons of Norway Foundation Board of Governors
The Sons of Norway Foundation Board of Governors is seeking talented Sons of Norway members who wish to join in the governance of this well-respected, fifty-one-year-old organization. Skills that are desired include strategic planning and operations, social media influencing, development and fund raising and/or finance and accounting The board is comprised of 10 voting members and four non-voting members from across the United States who are volunteers who serve without pay. A governor may serve up to three consecutive two-year terms.
The board supports the work of the Sons of Norway Foundation and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by the Foundation director who reports to the Sons of Norway’s chief operating officer, the board-staff relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the board is both critical and expected.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are implemented;
- Approving the Foundation’s annual budget, audit reports, business decisions, and financial statements;
- Serving on committees or task forces by accepting special assignments;
- Representing the Foundation to stakeholders, and acting as an ambassador for the organization; and
- Prioritizing personal giving by making an annual gift, reflecting the Foundation’s priority.
The Foundation’s core values are: Building the heritage of the future, sustaining the link to contemporary Norway, committing to life-long learning and service, demonstrating compassion for those in need, funding innovative individuals and opportunities and fostering a cohesive community of generosity. The application deadline is Sept. 10, 2019. Apply now, or call Anne Olson at 612-821-4632.
Board of Governors’ Meetings
Biannual meetings are held in Minneapolis. Governors meet at least four more times throughout the year via video conference.