Photo by Paul Lowe
by Paul Lowe
You will need:
2 Tbsp. butter
1 pound beef stew meat, cubed
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
8 ounces mixed mushrooms, cleaned and halved
3 cups beef stock
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
8 juniper berries
2 Tbsp. lingonberry jam
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
3/4 cup water
1 cup crème fraîche
2 ounces brunost, grated
- Melt the butter in a large pot, and brown the meat on all sides.
- Add the onion, and cook until it softens.
- Add the mushrooms, cook for 2 minutes. Add stock, salt, pepper, juniper berries and lingonberry jam.
- Let the stew simmer on low heat until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and water, and whisk until smooth. Stir into the stew and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in crème fraîche and brunost.
Serve with potatoes, Brussels sprouts and extra lingonberry jam.